Don’t just take it from us, let our participants do the talking!
Mastering the Art of Black & White Photography
★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Writing a feedback for Light Chasers like I have been saying is a difficult task. Its been more than two years now that I have been associated with Light
Mastering the Art of Black & White Photography
★ ★ ★ ★
I attended black and white post processing workshop beyond basics and the best I can say is I fell in love with this art.
To SEE in color is a delight for the eye but to SEE in Black and White is a delight for the soul – Andri Cauldwell
From the beginning of photography till about 1936, all the photographers shot was Black and White, as it was the only medium available. And they had mastered the art of Black and White. Color photography started in 1936 and after the digitalisation of photography in 1975, color photography started dominating. Today with the ease in clicking images, color photography dominates the scene but fortunately Black and White Photography did not die off, instead it became more specialised genres requiring advanced understanding of light, shadows and their tonal relationship.
The key to good black and white photography is learning to see the world in black and white.
In this 2 day extensive workshop you will learn the various aspects of creating a compelling Black and White Photograph.
● to share knowledge
● to share the vision.
● to share love for black and white photography.
● to share experience in fine art.
● to give ideas based on our work.
● to understand more important aspects of Black and White photography from composition to advanced processing
● to unveil secrets of good black and white conversion.
● to talk about light in Black and White photography.
Vision is the art of seeing what is invisible to others. – Jonathan Swift
Why do we create vision?
To put our representation of the world that can be first recognized us to explain it to the world and can be recognized by others too.
Why do we need vision?
To communicate through art.
we all see the world as an individual with our own eyes, mind and experience. Even if we see same object, none of us will ever see exactly the same object. If you are able to isolate your unique view and express it in a way that it can be recognized by the viewer, means you have created an Art.
“Composition is the strongest way of seeing.“ – Edward Weston
Composition is one , if not the most important aspect in a good photograph. Especially in B&W photography where because of the absence of color the emphasis will be on the composition of a photo, a good understanding of composition techniques is essential.
Composition techniques has a long history of its own. The Greeks and Romans were one of the first to invent rules on composition and apply them in their art of painting, architecture and sculpturing.
We will show you some composition rules that are very easy to apply and can help enhance your photos drastically.
Light is absolutely key to a good black and white photograph because it affects all the important elements of a good Black and white Photograph – shape, contrast, pattern and texture.
Understanding the behaviour of light and the effects it creates makes a huge difference in black and white photography. But you still have to make sure the camera records it correctly, and that’s what we are going to teach you in this workshop.
How to see in Black & White :
● Covering entire tonal range
● Zone System & how to use zone in capturing an image.
● How to determine good black & white photographs
● Putting all the above theoretical aspects into use on Day 1 of Field Session post theory
Post Processing Techniques
● Basic understanding on Adobe Photoshop including concept of levels and curves
● Laptop pre loaded with Adobe Photoshop CC
● Pre loaded NIK Silver Efex Pro 2 Plugin
● Creating Non-Destructive workflow.
● How to create contrast and depth in an image.
● How to create Tonal Separations
● How to selectively adjust tonal values using pixel level selections (using some advanced and easy techiques).
● How to use zone systems to create black and white images.
● How to create subtle vignettes using some advanced techniques to draw attention. (Vignette doesn’t mean oval or circular darkening of image)
● How to take full control of Tonal Range in Post Processing in your hands.
Please note: We will incorporate the use of Silver Efex Pro2 plugin for the same. The use will be minimal but since we will be using it, it is important for all to have that installed in your laptop
Your Workshop Mentor
– Service Tax @15% is included in the price
– We have limited seats so registration will be strictly on first come first serve basis
– Travel to and back from venue is on participants’ cost and we will not be making any arrangements for the same
– Registration against money transfer only
– No Cancellation. No money will be refunded if a participant cancels his/her participation.
– We need min 4 people to execute this workshop. In case of less participation, we may decide to cancel or postpone this workshop at a later date.
– In case of postponement/cancellation from our side, we will either make full refund or will adjust the amount against future workshops / Photo Tours.
– We will not refund any travel and/or stay arrangements if any any made by a participant to attend this workshop.
– Service Tax component (if the same has already been deposited by Light Chasers) will not be refunded in any scenario.
– All refunds will be processed within 7-10 business days.
– This is not an entry level workshop, It is all about going BEYOND BASICS
– We will teach you, How to use these tools, when to use them and how much to use which you cannot find anywhere on Internet.
– No we are not talking about some quick fix plugins but an Intermediate Level workflow
– Since the workflow is all about going beyond basics of Post Processing in Photoshop, so we have structured this workshop for 2 days in a bid to ensure maximise learning.
– We will give individualised attention to each participant
– We are looking at serious photographers who are really keen to enhance their learning. People looking for some fun, please excuse us.These techniques will help you transform your images as per “YOUR VISION” which may vary from from simple edits to Quality Edits.
– Yes we will provide notes of this workshop
– eCertificates will also be provided to each participant